the week we had a chilli cook off at work. There were veggie chills, chocolately chills, garlic sausage one and traditional. None of the tasted the same or even close!
Since the cook off, and the return of wintery weather I’ve been craving a little con carne. Then Saturday morning SL mentioned she was making chilli, with a special ingredient … so I had to make it to!
- Wayne Gretzky’s Chili Con Carne
1 kg ground beef
3 large onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 large green peppers, diced
1 (156 ml) cans tomato paste
1 (796 ml) cans tomatoes
1 (540 ml) cans kidney beans
2 (398 ml) cans baked beans
1 cup dry red wine (optional)
3 dashes hot pepper sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
1 1/2-2 tablespoons chili powder
1 (540 ml) cans pineapple chunks
- Cook beef in a frying pan over low heat until a small amount of melted fat forms.
- Stir in green pepper, celery and onions.
- Raise heat to medium and cook until vegetables are soft and beef has lost its pink color (about 10 min.).
- Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, beans and seasonings.
- Simmer over low heat 30- 45 min.
- Stirring often.
- Add drained pineapple chunks just before serving.
- If desired, mixture can be thinned with juice of drained pineapple.
Oh so good! Spicy and sweet …